The world-famous Kentucky Derby is to kick off early this May, and is being presented by Woodford Reserve. As it dawns, it’s the perfect time to become acquainted with the Derby and it all it has to offer, including highlights, information about both the track, horses, and the jockeys that ride them. This also includes some interesting facts about the race, and why it’s become one of the most popular sporting events not just in the United States, but internationally.
- The Kentucky Derby is one of the highest-attended sporting events in the world, with an estimated 158000 people at the track in 2017.
- Horses who have had their names start with an, ‘A’ have won the Derby 11 times in the past, including Always Dreaming who claimed victory in 2017.
- Almost all wins in the last 30 years have belonged to domestic horses. The last time a foreign horse won was in 1983.
- The red rose has been the flower of the Derby since as early as 1904, and the winner receives a garland packed with 400 of them.
- Secretariat still holds the speed record for the 1 ¼ mile event of 1:59.40.
- The Derby is the oldest continuously running sports event in North America.
- It was reported that fans spent $209,179,920 on the Derby.
- The race hasn’t been won by a 2 year old since 1882.
- The Florida Derby has given way to three of the Kentucky winners over the years.
- Trainer Todd Plether has entered more horses than any other trainer, at over four.
|1||5/5||100% Match up to $250|| Bet now|
|2||4.9/5||100% Match Bonus|| Bet now|
|3||4.8/5||100% Match up to $501|| Bet now|