The First Round Of The US Open
With a 136 year tradition, the US Open is one of the most celebrated and respected events on the ATP calendar. It is a hard court tournament that attracts the best in the world. This year however the field has been left decimated by injuries meaning some of the best players in the sport will not be attending.
This has been quite positive for many fans as it means exciting matches between the less well publicised players in Tennis. There are still a few celebrity players to draw the crowds to the Open including Venus Williams and the welcome return of Maria Sharapova. The US Open will be running between the 22nd of August and the 10th of September.
Powerful Return For Sharipova
Sharipova stunned the crowds in the first few days if the Open when after a 19 month absence she returned to professional tennis and defeated second seed Simona Halep in convincing sets of 6-4, 4-6 and 6-3.
After a banned substance suspension, Sharipova is ranked 146th and she made it into the Open on a wild card draw. This already was quite a surprise for many as she was refused entry to the French Open a few weeks earlier.
After a nearly 3 hour match against Halep, Sharipova fell to her knees and cried tears of joy. A Triumphant return for the much loved player.
The Opening Matches Highlights Of The Open
- Fans were equally surprised or rather shocked with the loss of Johanna Konta in her first round to Aleksandra Krunic. Konta is ranked no 7 but she was defeated 4-6, 6-3, 6-4.
- Venus Williams also looked to be struggling after needing three sets to beat 19 year old Viktoria Kuzmova. Their sets ran 6-3, 3-6 and 6-2. A decisive win but notable still.
- The 2014 US Open champ, Marin CIllic had a decisive victory over Tennys Sandgren and makes it into the second round on four sets, a 6-4, 6-3, 3-6 and a 6-3.
- Denis Shapovalov, 18 year old Canadian impressed fans with his defeat of Daniil Medvedev in an incredible series of sets, a 7-5, 6-1 and 6-2 ensured a decisive victory for the young firebrand.
- An American 18 year old, Sofia Kenin won an Open Wild Card draw tournament and has delivered an equally impressive first round by defeating 32 seed Lauren Davis 7-5, 7-5 to advance to the second round.
So far fans have had nothing to complain about as this US Open has already delivered surprise upsets, welcome returns and glimmers of future tennis talent. The second round kicks off today and is sure to deliver more action.
|1||5/5||100% Match up to $250|| Bet now|
|2||4.9/5||100% Match|| Bet now|